Most Popular Apps

PropellerAds

Friday 19 April 2019

Entire dota 2 youtube channel demonetized for reused content (130k subs/48M views), It's a specific case youtube bot can't understand


Hello everyone. First of all, I'm lost right now, don't even know what to do anymore, so sorry if my post is a bit messy or had bad grammar but i'm just drown into negative feelings right now...​This post from a fellow youtuber inspired me to share my story because I feel like I'm going through a huge injustice right now.​Straight to the point, I run a Dota 2 youtube channel called Dota 2 plays, for those who aren't familiar with this game, it is the biggest eSport game when it comes to cashprizes and the competitive aspect is the core of it.​1/ What I do​I used to be a fan of top notch gameplays, and I watched a lot of pro/top rank players gameplays from their ranked matches, at some point I decided to combine my video editing skills and share that as an educationnal content with other people on Youtube.​I try to find the best ones and edit them into highlights + extra editing (such as itemization, talent tree, showcasing small details etc..) for my youtube channel so people can learn from those pro players and become better. I want to highlight the fact that IM NOT TAKING/STEALING ANY STREAM CONTENT FROM THOSE PRO PLAYERS, BUT THE INGAME GAMEPLAY ONLY.​Doing this takes several hours a day as you have to watch several "raw" gameplays, find the right one, sort out the best moments, editing them etc..​I started from scratch two years ago as a side project of my regular job, building a community of fans so people can learn as well and become better at the game (remember it's a very competitive game and people crave for good pro gameplays to increase their knowledge and become better), until it became popular enough so I could quit my job and dedicate full time on it 1 year ago.​Everything was fine until two days ago when Youtube just decided to demonetize my entire channel for "reuploaded content" ), no warnings, no specific video included, just this formal email and this on my yt account:​this is what my monetization tab shows on youtube​I'm drown in the blur. It's as if it was just a random websites sending a simple classic email to its users.This email had the effect of an atomic bomb to me, you know I'm married and have a family life, I have rent and bills to pay, and just like that *poof* all this hard work, 500+ videos and dedication made throughout those two years are just being demonetized randomly and I'm left with "if you want to work free for us go ahead, maybe in 30 days you'll be able to reapply (and have the joy to be demonetized again) but until then you're left on your own without paycheck, good luck with your life".​​2/ Do I have the right to do what I do before I complain?​Now you may want to know if I have the legal rights of doing what I do, and the answer is simply yes. How do I know? Valve/Steam themselves made this dedicated page on their website where quote:​We encourage our users to make videos using Valve game content, such as playthrough or instruction videos or SFM movies. We are fine with publishing these videos to your website or YouTube or similar video sharing services.​So it's pretty known in the dota's content creator community, but they allow content creators to use any aspect of the game into video content.​​After sending an email to understand this situation because obviously I never reuploaded any video, nor have I had any strike or any form of warning in the past beside few music copyright claims (just demonetized video that are still online), back when I started my channel and didn't use proper songs they've sent me this and highlighted:​Content uploaded many times by multiple users​3/ What the Youtube bot cannot understand​This is where it gets tricky, in fact if you don't know dota, you can't be aware that the game offers a UNIQUE system of replay and is pushing its community to watch live/replays of the best players through the game in a "WATCH" tab, here is a screenshot.​So literally anyone (you included) can open the game, see that X super star player is playing right now, get the match id and watch the replay inside the game with a simple "watch" button.​When you watch a replay, you have the possibility to literally watch the player's perspective and see what he's doing just like you were behind him IRL:source: http://bit.ly/2XoDAuv equation is simple, you have :free rights to create content about the game + a super powerful tool that allows you to watch any replay of anyone + millions of player base + millions of people who crave for pro gameplays​of course there will be creators that will upload sometimes the same games, BECAUSE THEY ARE PUBLIC AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WANTS TO SEE THESES GAMEPLAYS from their mobile phone with 10-20mn highlights without having to launch dota and go through 50 minutes of a full game.​It's just like football or any sports, every week there are competion games, and people wants to see the highlight of let's say Messi or Ronaldo without watching the whole game, it's EXACTLY the same with the big difference that football rights are claimed by some television channels and organisms while in dota it's literaly free to use.​We never had any issues so far until this "reused content" was introduced (I learned it the hard way), now the bot thinks I'm uploading content that have been stolen, when it's in fact public free to use and anyone can access it, if a game of the Lionel Messi of dota 2 just ended, countless of youtube channels will upload it with barely few minutes/hours in between them, what does that mean? The first one is the "authentic video" and all others are "reuploaded content" ?​People just subscribe to the channels that are bringing the most value to those gameplays that's it.​4/ When Youtube is being totally unfair with me​Not only it's unfair because I'm the FIRST and ONLY channel that adds edit values like i said earlier in this post because I care about my viewers, you can look for yourself by typing "pro dota gameplay" on youtube. 95% just launch dota, record raw add a background music and upload 3 to 5 games highlights per day to soak the youtube algorithm.​And guess what? I'm the only channel (I manually checked the biggest channels as I know some of them and checked others outhere and none of them are being demonetized)​They are still monetized and Youtube bot think they are the owners of the content just because they uploaded it first (sometimes by couple minutes)​Since my content takes more time to edit (obviously some of the footages are the same because we showcase interesting moments of a game), I'm now the one who reuploaded.​I don't know what to do now, I just lost my job in the span of one second, getting copy paste from Youtube, they just don't want to review seriously my case.​I'm stuck, because they left me a hope by saying "you can reapply in 30 days", it's super painful psychologically because I can't get a job + sunstain a youtube channel daily like that, I could do it because I was getting revenues but now I'm literally stuck with no one to talk to. This post is like a bottle throwed into the ocean, I don't even know what to do I can't even sleep at night.I guess this is the punishment for trusting Youtube, i'd never think they could do such thing without any warning​What do you guys suggest me?​TL;DR: Youtube demonetize my entire youtube channel thinking I'm reuploading content, when the content I'm using is public and legally free to use hence some people are uploading it first, and Youtube think i'm reuploading them because I put time and do quality over quantity. I'm lost via /r/youtube
Disqus Comments

Recent Posts

PropellerAds

Recent in Recipes

PropellerAds